It’s possible to book a Virgin cruise with points if you keep your eyes out. Occasionally, Virgin Voyages, the adult-only cruise line, offers point redemptions through Virgin Red with special promotions. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the process of booking a Virgin Voyages cruise with points, step by step.
Table of Contents
Virgin Voyages offers point redemptions sporadically throughout the year. The availability of cruises you can book with points pop up and disappear just as quickly. You can typically find them on the Virgin Red Travel redemption.
Previous Cruise Redemptions
Previously, offers were for the following:
- 80,000 Virgin Red Points: five-night Caribbean cruise departing from Miami, Florida, and visiting Virgin’s private beach club in the Bahamas, about $0.30 per point value.
- 100,000 Virgin Red Points: Seven-night European cruise departing from Barcelona to the French Riviera, or an eight-night Virgin cruise to the Caribbean, visiting Puerto Plata and the Beach Club in Bimini.
You can see the now-expired cruise offer here.
Earning Points for Your Virgin Cruise
There are several ways to make sure you have enough points to take advantage of the Virgin Voyages Cruise for points offers when they pop up. Aside from already having the 80 to 100k Virgin Red points, here are some effective methods to earn or transfer points toward your Virgin Voyages cruise:
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- If you have a Virgin Atlantic Flying Club account, you already have a Virgin Red account. You can think of the points as being one and the same.
- American Express Membership Rewards (Amex)
- Transfer Ratio: 1:1 to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, often with promotional increases up to an additional 30%.
- Notable Cards: American Express Platinum card (US), American Express Business Gold card (US), and American Express Green card (US).
- Other Transfer Partners to Virgin Atlantic
- Chase Ultimate Rewards: Transfer ratio of 1:1.
- Citi ThankYou Points: Transfer ratio of 1:1.
- Capital One Rewards: Transfer ratio of 2:1.5.
Each of these programs offers different credit cards that allow you to earn points on everyday spending, which can then be transferred to Virgin Atlantic.
Transferring Points to Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Red
Once you have accumulated sufficient points, the next step is transferring them to Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Red, which is the platform used for cruise booking redemption. Transfers from American Express, Chase, or Citi to Virgin Atlantic are usually straightforward and can be done through the respective program’s website. After the points are in your Virgin Atlantic account, you’re good to book your Virgin cruise!
The redemptions are typically for one room type and book into a Central Sea Terrace Cabin or The Sea Terrace Cabin, which are not base-level rooms, offering a comfortable setting complete with a balcony and a hammock.
Virgin Atlantic Holidays Points Plus Money
Another option to consider when booking your Virgin Voyages cruise is the “Points Plus Money” feature offered by Virgin Atlantic Holidays. This feature allows you to offset the cost of your cruise with a combination of points and cash. Here’s how it works:
- Utilize the Points Plus Money feature: For every 3,000 points you redeem, you can reduce the cost by £16.50. This way, even if you don’t have enough points to cover the entire cost, you can still obtain a discount on your Virgin Voyages holiday.
- Book your flight and cruise with Virgin Atlantic Holidays Customer Support Team: Contact the Virgin Atlantic Holidays Customer Support Team at 0344 472 9646. Ensure to provide your Flying Club membership number and specify the amount of points you wish to redeem. Your Virgin Points will be deducted from your account at the time of booking. The points you earn for the money part of the purchase will be added to your account within seven days of travel.
It should be noted that at £0.0055 per point, this is a pretty horrible redemption value for points.
- Point redemptions for Virgin Voyages are only available during active Virgin Red promotions.
- Accumulating points through various loyalty programs and transferring them to Virgin Atlantic, then to Virgin Red, is the pathway to booking your cruise with points.
- Keeping a close eye on promotions and being ready to transfer and redeem points when the opportunity arises is crucial for successfully booking a Virgin Voyages cruise with points.
With the right strategy and timing, booking a Virgin Voyages cruise with points can lead to significant savings, making your sea voyage an even more rewarding experience.
In conclusion, booking a Virgin Voyages cruise with points, if you are quick and get one of the previous 80k point offers, is a fantastic way to make your dream vacation more affordable. By following these steps and staying vigilant for Virgin Red promotions, you can set sail on a luxurious Virgin Voyages cruise without breaking the bank. Bon voyage!